The Company You Keep
Surah Furqaan, 27 -29
وَيَوۡمَ يَعَضُّ ٱلظَّالِمُ عَلَىٰ يَدَيۡهِ يَقُولُ يَـٰلَيۡتَنِى ٱتَّخَذۡتُ مَعَ ٱلرَّسُولِ سَبِيلاً۬ (٢٧) يَـٰوَيۡلَتَىٰ لَيۡتَنِى لَمۡ أَتَّخِذۡ فُلَانًا خَلِيلاً۬ (٢٨) لَّقَدۡ أَضَلَّنِى عَنِ ٱلذِّڪۡرِ بَعۡدَ إِذۡ جَآءَنِىۗ وَڪَانَ ٱلشَّيۡطَـٰنُ لِلۡإِنسَـٰنِ خَذُولاً۬ (٢٩)And (remember) the Day when the Zâlim (wrong-doer, oppressor, polytheist) will bite at his hands, he will say: “Oh! Would that I had taken a path with the Messenger ( Muhammad SAW). (27) “Ah! Woe to me! Would that I had never taken so-and-so as a Khalil (an intimate friend)! (28) “He indeed led me astray from the Reminder (this Qur’ân) after it had come to me. And Shaitân (Satan) is to man ever a deserter in the hour of need.” (Tafsir Al-Qurtubi) (29)
- Cautioned about the kind of friends we make.
- To bite (ya’adhu) – lob down with your jaw, very harshly and severely bite down on their hands.
- Says I wish I would’ve joined the Messenger and gone on that path. Again, he will cry and say I wish I didn’t take Shaytaan as a friend.
- Khaleel is a very close, dear, trusted friend.
- He (Shaytaan) led him astray – he is a deserter of the person.
- Story of man who said shahadah to give food to Prophet (S) but then upon the request of a friend, spit in the face of the Prophet. These verses are in reference to him – this person will be so remorseful he will chew on his own hand and say these words.
- Fulaan – so-and-so – a general word – this ayah is speaking to us. We’ve all found ourselves in the sitaution of knowing what is right but not doing it upon request of a friend. The company that we keep is so important.
- Tawbah:119: Oh you who people, ittiqillah, and be with those who are truthful. By being with those who are truthful, you WILL develop taqwa. This is one of the ways of becoming muttaqeen. A man is upon the religion of his friend.
- Keep goog friends who will help you develop taqwa and good qualities.
- Hud:113 – Allah says – do not lean towards those people who are wrongdoings so that the fire will touch you. The more you lean towards wrong doers, you are getting closer to the HellFire.
- If someone is obsessed with material things, there is no point in friendship with them.
- If you don’t keep with the pious people, then all you want is the vanity of this life, the people whose hearts are completely void of dhikrAllah and chase the material things.
- P (S) asked who should we keep as friends: A person who just by looking at him, you remember Allah and when he speaks, ‘ilm increases, and when you see his actions, you are reminded of the life of the hereafter.
- Biggest concern for parents: friends. They can have the biggest influence on the kids – whether good or bad.
- This still affects the older brothers and sisters as well.
- A good friend is like a perfume – you’re by them, you smell good. Hadith in Bukhari.
- You hang out with those who do good and you will do so as well.