Surah Haqqah, 19 – 37
فَأَمَّا مَنۡ أُوتِىَ كِتَـٰبَهُ ۥ بِيَمِينِهِۦ فَيَقُولُ هَآؤُمُ ٱقۡرَءُواْ كِتَـٰبِيَهۡ (١٩) إِنِّى ظَنَنتُ أَنِّى مُلَـٰقٍ حِسَابِيَهۡ (٢٠) فَهُوَ فِى عِيشَةٍ۬ رَّاضِيَةٍ۬ (٢١) فِى جَنَّةٍ عَالِيَةٍ۬ (٢٢) قُطُوفُهَا دَانِيَةٌ۬ (٢٣) كُلُواْ وَٱشۡرَبُواْ هَنِيٓـَٔۢا بِمَآ أَسۡلَفۡتُمۡ فِى ٱلۡأَيَّامِ ٱلۡخَالِيَةِ (٢٤) وَأَمَّا مَنۡ أُوتِىَ كِتَـٰبَهُ ۥ بِشِمَالِهِۦ فَيَقُولُ يَـٰلَيۡتَنِى لَمۡ أُوتَ كِتَـٰبِيَهۡ (٢٥) وَلَمۡ أَدۡرِ مَا حِسَابِيَهۡ (٢٦) يَـٰلَيۡتَہَا كَانَتِ ٱلۡقَاضِيَةَ (٢٧) مَآ أَغۡنَىٰ عَنِّى مَالِيَهۡۜ (٢٨) هَلَكَ عَنِّى سُلۡطَـٰنِيَهۡ (٢٩) خُذُوهُ فَغُلُّوهُ (٣٠) ثُمَّ ٱلۡجَحِيمَ صَلُّوهُ (٣١) ثُمَّ فِى سِلۡسِلَةٍ۬ ذَرۡعُهَا سَبۡعُونَ ذِرَاعً۬ا فَٱسۡلُكُوهُ (٣٢) إِنَّهُ ۥ كَانَ لَا يُؤۡمِنُ بِٱللَّهِ ٱلۡعَظِيمِ (٣٣) وَلَا يَحُضُّ عَلَىٰ طَعَامِ ٱلۡمِسۡكِينِ (٣٤) فَلَيۡسَ لَهُ ٱلۡيَوۡمَ هَـٰهُنَا حَمِيمٌ۬ (٣٥) وَلَا طَعَامٌ إِلَّا مِنۡ غِسۡلِينٍ۬ (٣٦) لَّا يَأۡكُلُهُ ۥۤ إِلَّا ٱلۡخَـٰطِـُٔونَ (٣٧)Then as for him who will be given his Record in his right hand will say: “Here! read my Record! (19) “Surely, I did believe that I shall meet my Account!” (20) So he shall be in a life, well-pleasing. (21) In a lofty Paradise, (22) The fruits in bunches whereof will be low and near at hand. (23) Eat and drink at ease for that which you have sent on before you in days past! (24) But as for him who will be given his Record in his left hand, will say: “I wish that I had not been given my Record! (25) “And that I had never known, how my Account is! (26) “Would that it had been my end (death)! (27) “My wealth has not availed me; (28) “My power (and arguments to defend myself) have gone from me!” (29) (It will be said): “Seize him and fetter him; (30) Then throw him in the blazing Fire. (31) “Then fasten him with a chain whereof the length is seventy cubits!” (32) Verily, He used not to believe in Allâh, the Most Great, (33) And urged not on the feeding of Al¬Miskîn (the poor), (34) So no friend has he here this Day, (35) Nor any food except filth from the washing of wounds, (36) None will eat it except the Khâti’ûn (sinners, disbelievers, polytheists). (37)
- One of the key concepts of the deen is the sense of accountability – we are to live this life with a constant awareness. Everything that we do is recorded and preserved.
- In this Surah, Allah swt speaks about the conditon of the people on the DOJ.
- Everything is written and preserved and will be presented back to each person.
- Person who gets it in right hand is in pure joy – really happy. When someone gets a promotion, asked what did you do? So this person is asked how did you do it? This person responds with I was constantly mindful and was sure of the fact I would be held accountable on this day. I never forgot this. Will have extremely pleasurable life and beautiful Jannah.
- When a person is enjoying Jannah, and lying under a tree – when the person looks up, he will desire to eat those fruits. As soon as he desires so, the branch of the tree bends down to his mouth so he can eat and when he is finished, it will go back up. You don’t even have to move yourself.
- For the other group who got the book in the left hand, he is mad about his situation. He explains it by saying that he was not mindful of the fact he would be held accountable. Same word of hisaab. This person will curse themselves – wealth, power, influence, etc doesn’t help. Angels will shackle him and throw him head first into the fire. No food, no friends, nothing provided for this person. Washed by wounds of people.
Today’s recitaiton: Surah Israa’, 14
ٱقۡرَأۡ كِتَـٰبَكَ كَفَىٰ بِنَفۡسِكَ ٱلۡيَوۡمَ عَلَيۡكَ حَسِيبً۬ا
(It will be said to him): “Read your book. You yourself are sufficient as a reckoner against you this Day.”
- Allah swt is giving you your book and asking you – are you deserving of Jannah, His Mercy?
- So think about all of this now so you don’t have to suffer!
- Surah Kahf – 49, the criminals will be afraid of what’s in their books, saying what is wrong? Everything big and small is listed there. Allah does not oppress anyone. You will have to face your own deeds on the DOJ.
- A sense of accountability is not new to us – we balance cheques, check minutes, do bills, counting calories – we are constantly managing ourselves.
- Take that same mentality in terms of our money, time, worldly pursuits – apply that in terms of our deen as well. Check – did you pray, did you backbite, did you do good and forbid evil? Account yourself before you are accounted for.
Surah Israa, 19
وَمَنۡ أَرَادَ ٱلۡأَخِرَةَ وَسَعَىٰ لَهَا سَعۡيَهَا وَهُوَ مُؤۡمِنٌ۬ فَأُوْلَـٰٓٮِٕكَ ڪَانَ سَعۡيُهُم مَّشۡكُورً۬ا
And whoever desires the Hereafter and strives for it, with the necessary effort due for it (i.e. do righteous deeds of Allâh’s Obedience) while he is a believer (in the Oneness of Allâh— Islâmic Monotheism), then such are the ones whose striving shall be appreciated, (thanked and rewarded by Allâh).
- Intend for the life of the hereafter.
- Sa’ee – to work for something, to strive for something. To walk briskly not run – to the point of being tired. Someone who has an end goal in mind.
- When someone intends for the akhirah and pushes himself forward – such an effort in the life of the hereafter – this person is deserving of it. The believer – these people, their efforts will be appreciated by Allah swt.
- Kahf 30-31: People who believe in Allah and strive to do good – Allah will never waste their reward. Will be in the gardens of perpetual enjoyments. Here, it is said rivers flowing beneath the people and not beneath the garden – shows the importance of these people. These people will be adorned beautifully – gold and silver, given luxurious garments. They will be reclining on these amazing couches/thrones. They are ‘resting’ – like chilling. So when a person works hard in this world and tires himself, in the hereafter, this person will be able to relax. Has no concerns or worries. In this world, the people had a due date – their death – so they never really relaxed. In Jannah, they have no worries – bliss for eternity. So they will be completely relaxed. This is the best of rewards – excellent place of relaxtion for the people. It is more relaxed to rest your arms – place elbows on armrest – that’s the root of that word.
- In order to reach all of this – we have to put in the time and effort to do so. We need to account ourselves to make ourselves get there inshaAllah.