Stories from the Qur’an
Surah Hud, 120
وَكُلاًّ۬ نَّقُصُّ عَلَيۡكَ مِنۡ أَنۢبَآءِ ٱلرُّسُلِ مَا نُثَبِّتُ بِهِۦ فُؤَادَكَۚ وَجَآءَكَ فِى هَـٰذِهِ ٱلۡحَقُّ وَمَوۡعِظَةٌ۬ وَذِكۡرَىٰ لِلۡمُؤۡمِنِينَ
And all that We relate to you (O Muhammad SAW) of the news of the Messengers is in order that We may make strong and firm your heart thereby. And in this (chapter of the Qur’an) has come to you the truth, as well as an admonition and a reminder for the believers.
- Mentioned different stories and prophets that came before Muhammad (S)
- Also mentions the destroyed nations – the ones who didn’t accept the message
- Makki Surah – during the time of da’wah in Makkah
- Very selective of which anbiyaa and people Allah swt speaks about – the people that Makkah could relate to
- Nuh (as) – the one whose people repopulated the Earth
- Hud (as) was one of the Arabs as well as Saleh, Suhaib
- Ibrahim – who the Arabs and mushrikeen identified with
- Lut – a close relative of Ibrahim – could relate with
- Admonition to change your ways – showing the people of Makkah that something this severe could occur to you as well if you don’t change your ways
- Qur’an is not a storybook of fairytales – not entertainment. It is a means of teaching us – there is a deep message in each incident – to shake a person to the core and wake them up
- Is this what you should be doing with your life or not?
- At the end of the surah – all of these situations that were related to you from the different prophets – this is so that your heart may be straightened, solidified.
- All of this – emphasizing it is being recounted step-by-step
- Nabaa – great news, important, and also news that is relevant to you. Khabar is just general news – whether it is relevant or not. So this is nabaa – you need to pay attention.
- Nuthabit – to soldify something. If something is moving or shaky (wobbly table) and you fix it so it is solid – this is it.
- Fu’aad – heart – root fa’ada is something that is burning hot, flaming – it relates to the emotions of the heart. When the heart experience extreme emotion – the heart is called fu’aad.
- Persecution and opposition was increasing as the time went on – when you expected them to soften as time went on
- People at the forefront of the opposition are the family memebers of the Prophet (S)!
- Allah recounted all these important stories which all relate to the people and why is this being given? So that the emotions being experienced don’t de-stabilize you – so it solidifies and gives you strength.
- The solid, only truth has come to you in this surahs and it is a warning – saving you from the harm and destruction
- It is a reminder – dhikra is a reminder of that which benefits the people
- Strengthening of the heart = sabr – literally means to tie something. So it ties the heart and gives it strength and stability.
- Whenever we hear of these stories – it is a warning for Muslims and non-Muslims alike. For us, realize if you have the same characteristics.
- Should be a warning and reminder to constantly refresh our Eman
- This isn’t a strange phenomenon – Muhammad (S) dealt with what the people from before dealt with and what we may deal with as well
- When we follow the Qur’an, opposition and difficulty will be there – find strength and a reminder in that