Salah & Marriage
Surah Baqarah, 238
حَـٰفِظُواْ عَلَى ٱلصَّلَوَٲتِ وَٱلصَّلَوٰةِ ٱلۡوُسۡطَىٰ وَقُومُواْ لِلَّهِ قَـٰنِتِينَ
Guard strictly (five obligatory) As¬Salawât (the prayers) especially the best Salât. And stand before Allâh with obedience [and do not speak to others during the Salât (prayers)].
- Usually this ayah is mentioned in regards to being particular about your salah.
- Different opinions about which salah is the best prayer. Allah didn’t elaborate in which is the best prayer just like in Ramadan, Allah swt didn’t tell us when Laylatul Qadr is. It’s an immense hikmah for us. That way you observe all the 10 nights of Ramadan, and will observe all 5 prayers inshaAllah.
- Going over the language of this ayah and where the ayah is placed.
- Hifdh – to safeguard something, protect, to watch over something. This is in the form of an action taking place from both sides. This shows the emphasis on being extremely watchful, extra protective of your salah, in every aspect.
- Part of observing the prayer properly is to make sure you practice the deen in other aspects of your life.
- ‘Ala – be watchful over your salah. Just like if you have a valuable jewel, you’re constantly concerned about it. When someone hires an employee, they do a background check, interview and then set up a live feed to see what that person is doing at all times.
- We should be concerned about our salah – have an alarm, time, place, set for our salah.
- The Prophet (S) was a very easy-going guy at home. He would laugh, joke, smile, talk, engage in household chores. But when the ‘Adhaan was called, the wives of the Prophet (S) said he became like a stranger – he would leave everything to pray.
- When you observe salah properly, it automatically takes you away from engaging in things that are evil.
- Where has this ayah been placed? The Qur’an is divinely structured – every letter serves a purpose.
- The ayaat before it and after it are about divorce – when a married man and woman part ways. This ayah is in the middle.
- What is the purpose of the context?
- Allah swt is talking about 2 people who are having difficulty in their relationship.
- Allah swt presents 2 solutions:
- 1) Forgive one another – be generous and kind to one another – closer to taqwa
- 2) Turn to Salah because our relationship with others goes bad when our relationship with Allah goes bad.
- Allah will fix your relationship with others – just focus on your relationship with Allah
- It is a warning, a reminder for these two people going through this troubled time.
- When a person neglects the rights of Allah, he cannot be trusted to fulfill the rights of people. When he is no longer cautious about His Master, why would he care about anyone else?
- ‘Umar ibn al Khattab used to say, ‘When a person begins neglecting his salah, he becomes even more neglectful of everything else. And if a person can’t be good to his Lord, how can he be expected to be good to anyone else?’
- ‘Umar used to appoint leaders who were very particular about their salah.
- If you have the discipline to schedule and take care of your salah and Qur’an, there is nothing you can’t do.
- How does this relate to marriage? Salah should be a focal point of our lives. How does it improve marriages?
- 1) Helps discipline a person. Makes a person adapt to a schedule. You have to have this for a family.
- 2) It revitalizes a person, rejuvinates a person. Prophet (S) would say the coolness of his eyes was in salah. Imagine a hot desert, drying out your eyes – so salah cools and puts your eyes at ease.
- 3) Builds a connection with Allah which helps build a connection with family
- 4) Brings about humility in a person – bows before Allah, puts face on the ground. It removes the arrogance. One thing that makes marriage really diffcult is arrogance so salah helps with that.
- 5) Salah shows your sinful state – and how you need to turn to Allah for His forgiveness, beg for forgiveness. It becomes easier for us to then forgive others as well. You have to be extremely forgiving in marriage.
Share the khayr 🙂